Congratulations on becoming a new believer and starting your own personal relationship with God! May these tips for new Christians help you grow in faith and seek the Lord wholeheartedly. I’ll share practical next steps to help you strengthen your relationship with God and develop deep roots of faith.
Start growing in faith with the free Spiritual Growth Jump Start Challenge!
PIN THIS RESOURCE:
Starting your walk with God
While it’s exciting to know that your slate has been wiped clean and your sins are forgiven, you may wonder where to go next and be unsure how to start life anew as a child of God.
I completely relate to your mixed emotions, since I was more than a little overwhelmed when I surrendered my life to God.
The good news is that God gave us a manual for living a life connected to Him, the Bible.
May these tips bless you as you begin your journey as a new Christian and help you grow closer to the Lord each day.
20 tips for new Christians to grow in faith
1. Get connected to a community of believers. Living life with friends who are like-minded Christians will help spur you on and lead you towards God in your walk with Him. Finding a Bible-based local church is a great way to learn more about God and help you grow in faith.
2. Start communicating with God on a regular basis through prayer. Get to know Him through prayer and talk to Him often. Don’t forget to listen to Him, too. Prayer changes our hearts and allows us to be in the presence of the Lord wherever we may be.
3. Take the next step in faith and make plans to be baptized. Jesus was baptized as an outward expression of His commitment to the God and we are to follow in His footsteps. (Mark 3:21)
4. Share your good news with friends and family. It may be intimidating, but let your loved ones know the way God has changed your life and pray for those you love who need to know God, too.
5. Start exploring God’s Word and get to know His promises to you. The book of John is a great place to start, but don’t be intimidated by the language. The Bible is God’s love letter to us, so soak it in and cherish those words.
Use these tips to help you start reading the Bible as a beginner and create a daily quiet time with God that fuels your soul.
6. Meditate on God’s Word throughout the day. The Bible is an amazing gift from the Lord and is meant to be savored. You may wish to reflect on or meditate on one key verse or central theme. For example, I love to think about God’s goodness and flawless character throughout the day.
Christian meditation will help you know God’s promises and make Scripture a cornerstone part of your life.
7. Start a journal of your favorite verses. As I read the Bible, I keep a notebook of verses that impact me and I want to savor. Dating the entries help me look back and remember the date God touched my life and the circumstances surrounding me at the time. It’s a lifeline for me to have my favorite verses at my fingertips.
I love the Be Still: Daily Prayer Journal. It helps you focus your heart during your daily prayer time and helps you stay on track in your prayer life. Plus, it follows a meaningful prayer method (the ACTS prayer method), which guides you towards a thriving prayer life.
8. Don’t expect to have all the answers or become perfect. Even as a child of God, you will stumble and fall. While it’s not an excuse to freely sin, know that God’s grace covers all your missteps, even after you begin your walk with God.
As you mature and grow in faith, God will refine your character and slowly, over time, you’ll begin to move away from old habits.
9. Create a habit of regularly confessing your sin to God. Remember, God already knows your sins and struggles. However, confessing your sin and bringing your missteps before God keeps you seeking His face. It keeps the lines of communication open between you and God.
10. Bask in the freedom that comes with the grace of God and let go of guilt of past transgressions. Sometimes, forgiving yourself can be hard to do. Yet God doesn’t want you to wallow in self-pity or shame. Simply ask for forgiveness and take intentional steps to move past your sins.
I love to repeat Christian affirmations to help me move past my sins and struggles. It’s the perfect reminder that God has already forgiven me and wiped my slate clean.
11. Examine your life and see if changes need to be made to your lifestyle to honor God. Often people find the Lord when life has pushed them to rock bottom and circumstances seem overwhelming. Becoming a Christian doesn’t instantly change those situations, but God does provide hope that they will not last forever and that He can change your heart.
12. Mend relationships as needed. Sometimes when God cleanses our sins, we realize the destruction we have caused others close to us. Begin the healing process with those relationships and start making amends, believing that God heals all wounds.
13. Don’t expect to change overnight. God is still in the business of changing lives, but it is a process. As Christians, we are forgiven immediately when we invite God into our lives, but old habits can be hard to break. Give yourself grace and trust that God will grow you to look a little more like Him.
14. Surround yourself with Scripture verses. Using Post-It Notes to put verses on my bathroom mirror or in my car, helps me remember that God loves me, is in control and will guide me down the path He has planned for me. I love decorative Scripture prayer cards, too!
15. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. I’ve had a relationship with the Lord for 22 years, and the more I grow in faith, the more questions I have. It’s ok to have questions and to seek answers from those mature in faith.
16. Find a mentor. I had a mentor early in my walk with the Lord and it was a blessing to have her guide me in spiritual growth. It was also helpful to have someone hold me accountable in those areas I was prone to wander away from God.
17. Find a Bible-teaching church and become involved. Going to church is a meaningful way to get to know the Lord more and be surrounded by a body of like-minded people.
18. Start your day giving thanks to God and asking Him to show you His plan for your life. Having a morning prayer time is a powerful way to start your day. I love to repeat Bible verses of praise to God and spend time thanking the Lord for His many blessings.
19. Establish a relationship with an accountability partner. Find a friend and Christian you can trust, and agree to spur each other on in your walks with God. Be open and honest with each other and don’t be afraid to be vulnerable.
20. Keep seeking the Lord. Whether in good times or in bad, keep seeking God and trust He will meet you there. Like any good relationship, the more you foster your relationship with God, the more you’ll grow.
Resources for new Christians
If you’re ready to start reading the Bible and getting to know God’s Word, consider the Quiet Time Toolkit as your roadmap.
The prayer and Bible study templates help new Christians and seasoned believers learn how to read the Bible and how to have a thriving prayer life.
These printable templates will help you nurture your relationship with the Lord and teach you read His word and pray with confidence.